Travel season is coming up. I’ve been listening to you. And some of you have or are about to start traveling very soon. I thought this would be a great time to share with you ways I stay sane and healthy on the road.
Even when I’m taking a simple road or weekend trip, these few things really help me have a better, healthy, less stressful trip:
1. Bring snacks: If you’re like me, you have to eat every two hours or you get dizzy and tired. Sometimes unhealthy snacks are the only options on the road. To help I bring: protein bars, turkey jerky, or make my own simple trail mix (in a ziplock bag add raisins (no sugar added) or another dried fruit like apricots or strawberries, almonds, walnuts, other options include goji berries or cacao nibs).
2. Greens: I have travelled around the globe and sometimes eating vegetables is unavailable. Therefore, I bring either Green Superfood powders by various companies like Amazon Food or Garden of Life. Or I bring a vegetable supplement depending what Whole Foods has available. (Sometimes drinking water isn’t available either in certain countries so the full green supplement can be useful). Most of these products are vegan and gluten free. These supplements help with digestion and energy levels.
3. Home: Bring something with you that reminds you of the people and places that you consider home and love. If you’re traveling for a while, you may get lonely. It’s wonderful to explore, and it’s wonderful to remember where home is.
4. Move: Try to get up every couple of hours from the plane seat and move around. It will help keep your joints lubricated. Note: off the plane: I never travel with a yoga mat unless I’m leading or attending a yoga retreat. I practice on the road in the room on a towel or I take a class wherever I am even if the class language is in Spanish. It’s fun to see what other cultures are up to with yoga and to try new things, meet new people. For the room: one great pose for jet lag is a variation of legs up the wall (viparita Karani) to lay on the ground and put your knees and legs on a bed so they are at a right angle. Put a towel over your eyes. Inhale 3-4 and exhale 3-4. Hold 10-20 minutes.
5. Immunity: When I was traveling in Paris last year, I got a horrible flu. I was so grateful to have Inner Defense by Young Living and Allicillin by New Metabolism. (For further information on how to get Inner Defense, feel free to contact me). Both supplements helped me get better quickly. Also, I had brought packets of tea with me just in case I needed them (Ginger and Herbal Peppermint by Yogi Teas.) Both of these tea are great for digestion, nausea, colds, and to ease the throat.
6. Research: If you already know when you are traveling, google the place and find out weather and clothing recommendations for that time and place. If you don’t know and you plan on throwing a dart on a map to figure it out (I like this way), check out: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations. Once you find the place you want to go, they have a weather section.
If you want a little getaway where you get to do yoga and meditation, consider joining me for the Day Long June 2nd or The Weekend Retreat at Glen Ivy October 18-20, 2013. Far away from the stresses of work, family obligations, and bills, retreats help us get perspective on where you are and how you may want to change in your life to live in a way you want.
There are only 2 spots left in the Day Long Retreat and
8 spots left in the weekend retreat.
Click here for more info.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
“There are only two mistakes one can make on the road to truth: not going all the way and not starting.” ~Buddha
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream. Discover.” ~Mark Twain
Enjoy your travels!
Hope to see you soon.
In Light and Love,
PS: Love free stuff? Me too. The best way to support these emails so I can continue sharing helpful information is to spread the word. Thank you.
PPS: Need weekly inspiration? Like me on Facebook by clicking the “F” below.
PPPS: There will be subs this week from Wednesday April 10th- Sunday April 14th. Hope to see you before.